ISHS


Acta
Horticulturae
Home


Login
Logout
Status


Help

ISHS Home

ISHS Contact

Consultation
statistics
index


Search
 
ISHS Acta Horticulturae 468: III International Cherry Symposium

SWEET CHERRY RESEARCH AND PRODUCTION IN YUGOSLAVIA

Authors:   M. Nikolic, G. Duric, R. Cerovic
Keywords:   Pomology, cultivars, rootstocks, nursery production
DOI:   10.17660/ActaHortic.1998.468.98
Abstract:
Sweet cherry ranks sixth in the fruit crop structure in Yugoslavia, with some 1.97 million trees and the production amounting to 30, 645 metric tons in 1996. The production is mainly organized in the private sector. The old varieties Germersdorfer, Lyons Early and some others, followed by commercial cultivars Burlat, Stella and Bing are predominant, while the old local indigenous varieties account for some 20–25% of the production. Over the last 5–6 years, new, high-quality cultivars have been more widely grown. Of the rootstocks, the wild cherry seedling is predominant (about 90%), whereas all the other rootstocks, both vegetative and generative, account for the remaining 10%. Almost the entire production is marketed fresh, and a very small amount is processed into pulp, compotes, frozen product, etc. the Fruit and Grape Research Centre in Cacak is the only institution in Yugoslavia engaged in scientific research work on sweet cherry. Up till now, two cultivars have been developed at this Centre, Asenova Rana and Carna, as well as a number of promising hybrids, of which VI/67 was shown as superior.

Download Adobe Acrobat Reader (free software to read PDF files)

468_97     468     468_99

URL www.actahort.org      Hosted by KU Leuven      © ISHS