ISHS


Acta
Horticulturae
Home


Login
Logout
Status


Help

ISHS Home

ISHS Contact

Consultation
statistics
index


Search
 
ISHS Acta Horticulturae 1268: XI International Symposium on Protected Cultivation in Mild Winter Climates and I International Symposium on Nettings and Screens in Horticulture

Critical point analysis in solid inorganic waste production in the protected cultivation systems in Almeria - approaches to reduce the impact

Authors:   S. Sayadi-Gmada, J.M. Torres-Nieto, S. Parra Gómez, M.C. García-García, C. Parra-López
Keywords:   bioeconomy, greenhouses, zero waste, circular economy
DOI:   10.17660/ActaHortic.2020.1268.27
Abstract:
The concept of bio-economy has been around for the last ten years. In the European Union (EU), it emerged in 2005 and was identified as a tool to address a wide range of societal challenges in the coming years: food security, climate change, sustainable resource management, private companies competitiveness and job creation. Spain launched its own strategy on bio-economy in January 2016 aiming at boosting a bio-economy based on the sustainable and efficient production and use of biological resources. The targeted sectors are food, agriculture and forestry. It includes, among other challenges, the valorisation of wastes and residues reducing waste and closing the circle in the value chain. In this framework, the objective of the study was to detail the main activities in the production process and their respective inputs and waste generated by the Almería horticultural greenhouses system, and to elaborating the flows of inputs and waste in primary production. Subsequently, a typology has been developed according to the nature and volume of waste generated. In the overall composition of waste generated, plastic used as protection material represents approximately 6% of the total waste produced in intensive agriculture and the remaining 94% are organic residues. The maintenance of the cover structure and the plastic for disinfection are the productive functions with a higher importance regarding the weight (42 and 23%, respectively) and volume (40 and 19%, respectively) of waste produced. Finally, framed within the REINWASTE project, some innovative practices to reduce inorganic waste were performed leading to a more sustainable horticultural and bio-economy sector in south of Spain.

Download Adobe Acrobat Reader (free software to read PDF files)

1268_26     1268     1268_28

URL www.actahort.org      Hosted by KU Leuven      © ISHS